Monday, July 13, 2009

Enlightened Purrrspective by Cat

When was the last time you stopped for a moment and had a break?

Maybe you have been in the office working on a project and the stress has gotten to you. It’s not just you. It has probably affected everyone around you. Don’t feel bad it happens! Get up out of your chair, walk down the hall, grab one of your co-workers or two, go outside and take a walk and maybe plant yourselves at an outdoor cafĂ© and chat for a bit. You’ll be surprised how better you’ll feel. So will the people around you!
I receive an email newsletter from a “champion in positive attitude”. He is a retailer like you and I in New Jersey. And his latest newsletter reminded me of a little exercise that I do and have suggested to friends many a time. “Finding your happy place” is what I call it. John called it “Breathe For Clarity”. Maybe you’ve been dealing with an unhappy client or simply feeling out of sorts because you had a bad tee shot. No matter what the case, this exercise will help you think and see more clearly, while increasing the positive feelings to help move you through your day with ease. You can make it a habit. Practice it whenever you feel stressed or overwhelmed.

You can do this seated or standing:
Think of someone, something or someplace you love.
Experience the joy that accompanies thinking about that person, thing or place.
Close your eyes. (Yes, you can do this at your desk! It only takes a few seconds).
With your mouth closed, take a deep breath in through your nose. As you inhale, feel the breath extending down all the way to the base of your spine.
Picture the person, thing or place. Keeping your mouth closed, release the breath slowly through your nose.
Repeat this exercise three times.

Now, don’t you feel better? Where did you go? Who did you see? I guarantee the rest of your workday or golf game will go more smoothly. Plus I promise your game has to be much better than mine would be. I’ve just started. Hey I have an idea, let’s go golfing. I know you’ll feel better about your game playing next to me ! ! !

Keep climbing!

Cat

No comments:

Post a Comment